The “Twitterverse” is expanding rapidly. It’s not just a forum for businesses to communicate with potential customers anymore. Ecommerce businesses can use Twitter as a way to stay informed, on the cutting edge of industry news, and in contact with leading personalities and companies in the ever-growing online business world.
I looked at (a) the most followed business-related Twitter accounts, (b) top executives, and (c) companies and news organizations that actively tweet. From those, I handpicked the most informative, interesting and useful Twitter feeds for ecommerce business owners.
These Twitter users offer practical advice, news or are just at the cutting edge of the industry with an important perspective.
Tech and Ecommerce News
1. TechCrunch @TechCrunch: Tweeting the latest breaking news, opinion, reviews and analysis in all things technology from TechCrunch.com.
2. Mashable @mashable: This is from the CEO of Mashable.com, Pete Cashmore, with the latest digital, tech and social media news and analysis from Mashable.com.
3. John Battelle @johnbattelle: Analysis of the latest breaking news in tech, business and ecommerce from author of The Search and creator of Searchblog.
4. Gina Trapani @ginatrapani: Founder of Lifehacker.com, tech writer and coder tweets about the latest in tech.
5. Smashing Magazine @smashingmag: Twitter feed of Vitaly Friedman, founder and editor-in-chief of popular web development magazine out of Freiburg, Germany. Friedman answers questions, gives advice and links to articles all over the web about design and development strategy.
6. Google @google: A must-follow for the latest trends, activities and products coming from Google.
7. Google Retail @GoogleRetail: A Google Twitter feed dedicated to all things ecommerce with breaking industry news and data, daily.
8. Google Tech @Googletech: Google’s in-house tech team tweeting about trends in tech, from Internet to mobile to email to advertising.
9. Danny Sullivan @dannysullivan: Editor of SearchEngineLand.com tweets on practical and actionable advice about search engines, SEO, pay-per-click advertising and other things search-related.
10. Jason Fried of 37Signals @jasonfried: Jason Fried is CEO and co-founder of 37Signals, the makers of online collaboration tools. His feed is a mix of business, tech and personal tweets, from a software expert.
11. Small Business Trends @smallbiztrends: Tweets from CEO of SmallBizTrends.com Anita Campbell. She offers practical advice and articles for small business owners.
12. The New York Times Business @nytimesbusiness: Stay current on breaking business news domestically and internationally with The New York Times business section’s Twitter page.
13. The New York Times Small Business @NYTSmallBiz: A specific Twitter feed just for small business owners. Mostly, the content is links back to small-business related articles in The New York Times, but it is also a great forum to ask questions, network with other business owners and learn from one another.
14. Business.gov @BusinessDotGov: The official Twitter home of the U.S. Government’s business resources site with practical information, tools and regulatory forms for small businesses.
15. Financial Times @financialtimes: Financial Times is one of the most influential and important financial papers in the world. Get the latest-breaking financial and business sector news first. This is the main Twitter feed from Financial Times and from here users can also find dozens of specific feeds from several of the esteemed FT journalists.
16. The Wall Street Journal @WSJ: Get the latest breaking business news from this venerable business paper.
17. The Economist @TheEconomist: One of the most venerable business journals in the world, The Economist links to its own articles about business, politics, economics, world and domestic news and more.
18. Econsultancy @econsultancy: This is a United Kingdom online magazine that offers analysis on the latest digital, marketing and ecommerce news.
19. ExecTweets @exectweets: A collection of feeds from thousands of top business executives using Twitter.
20. Eric Schmidt of Google @ericschmidt: Eric Schmidt is a legend, he tweets regularly about technology, business and the latest from Google.
21. Tony Hsiegh of Zappos.com @zappos: This is Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh’s feed. He gives insightful advice, answers questions, handles customer service and posts personal and professional news about himself and Zappos.
22. Richard Branson of Virgin Group @richardbranson: Candid personal and business insights from one of the world’s most successful entrepreneurs, Chairman of Virgin Group Richard Branson.
23. Evan Williams of Twitter.com @ev: Tweets from the co-founder of Twitter, Evan Williams.
24. George Colony of Forrester Research @gcolony: CEO of Forrester, the tech and market research firm, George Colony uses this feed to post primarily about all things social media.
25. Kevin Rose of Digg.com @kevinrose: Mostly a personal feed from the founder of Digg.com, but Rose also posts about all things tech and addresses questions and comments about Digg.
26. Guy Kawasaki of Alltop and Apple @GuyKawasaki: Guy Kawasaki is a tech superstar, a venture capitalist that co-founded Alltop.com, former marketing pioneer at Apple that aided in launching the Mac computer in the 80s and is the author of entrepreneur handbook “Enchantment.” He tweets about business, marketing, technology and more.
Blogging, Marketing and Social Media
27. Darren Rowse of ProBlogger @problogger: Social media, blogging and tech advice from master blogger Darren Rowse.
28. Seth Godin of Squiddo.com @ThisIsSethsBlog: Author, blogger and founder of Squiddo.com tweets about the future of online business and social media.
29. John Chow @JohnChow: John Chow is Internet-famous for turning his blog into a multi-million dollar company. Subscribe his feed to get his daily thoughts about blogging and social media to help your business.
30. Bill Austin of Arizona High Tech Talent Partnership @wbaustin: SEO and Internet wizard Bill Austin tweets about marketing, social media, advertising, public relations and politics.
31. John Jantsch @ducttape: Small business marketing consultant John Jantsch wrote the best-selling Duct Tape marketing books and The Referral Journal. He tweets about social media and marketing for small businesses.
32. Allen Weiss of MarketingProfs @allenweiss: Professor of marketing, CEO and founder of MarketingProfs.com, a marketing consulting and publishing firm out of Santa Barbara, Calif., Weiss tweets about marketing strategy, technology and social media.
33. Jonathan Fields @jonathanfields: Blogger and author of bestselling books like Career Renegade tweets about how to love what you do for a living.
Business Advice and Inspiration
34. What Works For Business @whatworks: Practical how-to advice about growing and managing a business from the editors of Business.com.
35. Cindy Ratzlaff of BrandYou @BrandYou: A social media strategist and brand guru, Cindy Ratzlaff in an author, blogger and has been featured in Forbes magazine.
36. Tim Ferriss @tferriss: Author of The New York Times bestseller The 4-Hour Workweek tweets about better business practices and provides interesting analysis of current business news.
37. Brian Tsuchiya of Startup Guru @StartupGuru: Practical business-related advice and inspiration from the founder of Startup Guru.
38. Malcom Gladwell @Gladwell: Author of best-selling books Outliers, Tipping Point and Blink tweets insightfully about global trends, psychology, business and culture.
39. Steven Johnson @stevenbjohnson: Author of several best-selling business-oriented and technology books like Where Good Ideas Come From, Interface Culture and Emergence, Johnson also tweets and links to articles about the same topics.
40. Intuit @Intuit: From the small business software manufacturer, links to interesting small business news and provides helpful tips and advice for its popular software, including QuickBooks and Quicken.