Facebook has simplified its ad campaign creation process. The changes address (a) the redesign of the user interface, (b) a concentrated focus on marketing goals and objectives, and (c) the ability to easily use different ad types.
To create an ad using the revised system, follow these four steps.
1. Select What You Want to Advertise
Pick what you want to advertise by typing something into the destination box or clicking on any of the following.
- URL to an external website.
- Facebook Page.
- Facebook Page application.
- Facebook Event.
For this article, I advertised a Facebook Page that I administer.
Once a choice has been made, the selected destination will be highlighted.
2. Decide What You Want to Do
This step is where marketing goals come into play. For example, when choosing to advertise a Facebook Page, two goals are presented, along with a choice to see more advanced options.
Get More Page Likes. This goal is designed to enable you to reach people who are not yet connected to your Page.
Promote Page Posts. With this option you can promote a specific post, which gives the post increased reach and more prominent placement in your Fans' newsfeeds.
Advanced Options. This shows you all the creative and bidding alternatives, such as choosing between bidding on a cost-per-impression or cost-per-click basis.
Facebook will automatically optimize placement, showing ads to those who are likely to help you achieve your goal.
Get More Page Likes. If you chose to focus on building your audience, two advertising choices are presented.
- Traditional Ad. These are the ads that appear in the right-hand column. To design the ad, insert ad copy and a thumbnail image, and determine the landing page where a visitor who clicks the ad will be directed - either to the Timeline or an application.
- Sponsored Stories. These are ads that appear in Fans' — i.e., people "liking" your Page— newsfeeds.
Promote Page Posts. Two options are presented.
- Choose the Page post you wish to promote.
- Sponsored Stories.
More Sponsored Stories choices are included in this new version, as follows.
- People liking your Page post.
- People commenting on your Page post.
- People sharing your Page post.
See Advanced Options. In this case, advertisers are given the option to promote a post, create a traditional ad, or chose a Sponsored Story. More detailed campaign pricing is presented, as well.