6 Essential Reasons To Advertise
I was recently reading a book called, "Steal These Ideas: Marketing Secrets That Will Make You a Star." It is written by Steve Cone and discusses some great marketing and branding techniques.
The book also discusses the 6 essential reasons why your company needs to advertise.
1. Motivate Your Troops - Setting up a new campaign can be very exciting and you can make it more fun by including your employees in the process. Example - I was at a System Seminar this weekend and Trevor Claiborne from Google gave an awesome speech on Google Website Optimizer. He shared with us a little secret... They have their own contests to see which version of testing will win. When your employees care, you always get better results!
2. Remind Your Existing Customers Why They Are Your Customers- Sometimes our customers forget us. Sometimes our customers forget why they loved us in the first place. You need to remind those customers who you are and why you are the amazing company that you are.
3. Generate New Leads - Cone states, "Make sure to provide a phone number and make it visible." This applies for your websites as well. Customers want information and sometimes that information is simply that you are a real company that will take care of their needs.
4. Recruit Great People from Your Competitors - Sometimes a spike in activity of people contacting you positions available will come from great advertising.
5. Garner More Positive Publicity - What company doesn't need good publicity? Advertising can catch the eye of a reporter, local community organization, etc
6. Build the Brand- Building brand awareness always always always is a good thing. You cannot go wrong here.
One final bit of advice -
When building your advertising campaign, keep in mind the purpose of the advertisement and always be testing for optimal results.
Written by Shawna Fennell, President of 1 Choice4 Your Store
Armando Roggio says:
Shawna, This is a great reminder. Advertising is still the very best way to grow your ecommerce business. And for me, point 6 is the most important.
Shawna Fennell says:
Thanks for your comment :) Number 6 is an often forgotten reason of why we need to advertise our business until someone reminds us. Then we think...oh yeah!
Dean Iodice says:
Well said, you hit on every topic including getting your employees involved. When times get bad companies cut their advertising and start treating their employees like they are doing them a favor by keeping them employed.
This does to things:
- Cutting your advertising results in less business
- Treating your employees bad results in employees who don't care and look elsewhere for employment.
Companies need to think outside the box, start treating their staff like they are part of something special and start advertising, there are some really good advertising deals out there.
Lastly, buying a couple Pizzas on Friday for the team results in good moral.