Placing inventory in geographically diverse warehouses can greatly lower shipping costs and transit times. But merchants are often unsure of the technology required or the minimum shipping volume to make it worthwhile.
In this 30-minute online seminar, which first aired on July 23, 2019, we’ll review the basics of distributed warehousing. We’ll explain how it can help even small-to-midsize companies deliver products to customers faster and cheaper.
Getting Started with Distributed Warehousing
- The distributed warehouse advantage. Offering two-to-three day shipping at a low cost or free is a competitive necessity for many merchants. We’ll review nationwide carrier zones and maps to illustrate the benefits of multiple warehouses.
- Overall cost savings. We’ll discuss 12 real-life examples of how shipping from more than one warehouse can reduce costs even with third-party fulfillment fees and inventory and management costs.
- Loyalty, conversions, and profits. Shoppers increasingly expect all merchants to match Amazon’s delivery speed and cost. We’ll run the numbers to show how fast delivery impacts conversions, loyalty, and profits.
- Managing inventory. Modern ecommerce platforms and order-management systems make it relatively easy to manage inventory and fulfill orders from a network of warehouses. We’ll explain, with examples.
- How to choose a 3PL. Merchants have many choices for selecting a third-party fulfillment partner. We’ll list seven essential requirements to find the partner that best fits your business.
Following the presentation, we’ll answer questions from attendees.
About the Presenter
Armando Roggio is (a) contributing editor for Practical Ecommerce, (b) an independent ecommerce merchant, and (c) a seasoned web developer. He has written hundreds of articles at Practical Ecommerce, covering virtually all facets of running a successful online store. He holds a B.A. in English Writing and Journalism from The University of Pittsburgh.
About the Sponsor
Rakuten Super Logistics offers comprehensive ecommerce order fulfillment across 12 strategic facilities nationwide — providing merchants with the resources and support to compete with any online store in the world. RSL’s cloud-based SmartSuite platform allows clients to manage order fulfillment anywhere, anytime, while optimizing domestic and international shipping costs and speed.