Soccer’s World Cup, national holidays, celebrity birthdays, and even how-to content can help online sellers attract, retain, and engage shoppers in June 2014 and beyond.
Content marketing is the practice of creating and distributing valuable, interesting, and entertaining content with the aim of acquiring customers and making sales. Content marketers must understand their customers and seek to serve them.
The content created in a content marketing campaign is used to build relationships with customers, so that those customers will ultimately learn about and like the seller.
With this in mind, here are five content marketing ideas that any online seller can use this month.
1. FIFA World Cup: Begins June 12, 2014
The 2014 Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) World Cup begins on June 12, 2014. This international soccer tournament is being held in Brazil, making it the first South American World Cup since 1978. It will probably be the most watched, searched, and talked about sporting event of the year.
Online sellers can provide compelling content around the event. Here are some possible content ideas.
An online craft store could publish, “10 World Cup-influenced Sewing Projects for While You Watch.”
A men’s clothing retailer might post, “Bradley, Dempsey, Besler: Who’s the Best Dressed American at the World Cup.”
A store selling educational toys could publish, “How-to Use the 2014 World Cup to Teach Geography.”
A purveyor of seeds and garden tools may offer, “World Cup Stadiums: Lawn Care in Front a Millions.”
2. Flag Day: June 14, 2014
In the United States, Flag Day is a 237-year-old holiday, commemorating the Second Continental Congress’ adoption of the Stars and Stripes as the official flag of the nation. When the Revolutionary War broke out, America’s colonies each had their own flag, so that “American” troops might be flying one of any number of flags as they marched into battle.
On patriotic holidays like this one, online retailers can publish articles about the holiday’s history or American history as well as addressing just about any flag-related modern topic or product.
Here are some possible Flag Day article or video titles to adapt these to your industry segment.
5 Ways to Celebrate Flag Day with Your Kids
Plan the Perfect Flag Day Party
7 Things Artists Can Learn from Flag Day
Flag Day Fashion Faux Pas
3 D.I.Y. Projects for Flag Day
3. Father’s Day: June 15, 2014
Dads, it seems, can be hard to shop for. At least that is the impression one might get if you take a moment to search Google for “Father’s Day Gift Ideas.” You’ll get something like 28 million results.
While there is certainly nothing wrong with a merchant posting a list of gift ideas, don’t let that be all that’s published this Father’s Day. Seek to create content that will engage dads and the people who care about them.
Are there father and child projects you might post about? Do you have products that will encourage family time or personal time? Could you publish a list of famous fatherly quotes that relate to the products you sell and the people you serve?
4. Celebrity Birthday: Many Days to Choose From
June is traditionally one of the most popular months for babies. Other months like September, August, and July, will also vie for the top spot, but nonetheless you can count on June being in the top five for birthrate.
With so many babies being born and so many people celebrating birthdays, ecommerce content marketers can find a lot of fodder around famous folks in June.
Look for celebrities related to the segment you serve and write about them and how they relate to your industry on their birthday.
Here are some birthdays to spark your creativity.
- Morgan Freeman, actor
- Marilyn Monroe, actress
- Heidi Klum, model
- Freddy Adu, soccer player
- Sergio Aguero, soccer player
- Kyle Petty, race car driver
- Anderson Cooper, television host
- Travis Hafner, baseball player
- Emmitt Thomas, football player and coach
- Angelina Jolie, actress
- Bar Refaeli, model
- Dr. Ruth, psychologist and host
- Robert Kraft, entrepreneur and businessman
- Mark Wahlberg, musician and actor
- John Maynard Keynes, economist
- Steve Vai, guitarist
- Nathan Hale, war hero
- Paul Giamatti, actor
- Prince, musician
- Allen Iverson, basketball player
- Dean Martin, singer and actor
- Kanye West, musician
- Frank Lloyd Wright, architect
- Tim Berners Lee, computer scientist
- Les Paul, guitarist
- Johnny Depp, actor
- Dick Vitale, sports commentator
- Kate Upton, model
- Tara Lipinski, figure skater
- Judy Garland, actress
- Joe Montana, football player
- Shia LaBeouf, actor
- Charles B. Rangel, politician
- Anne Frank, author
- George H. W. Bush, president
- Jim Nabors, actor
- Henry Bond, photographer
- Red Grange, football player
- Tim Allen, actor
- Donald Trump, entrepreneur and businessman
- Alonzo Church, mathematician
- Lang Lang, musician
- Mario Cuomo, politician
- Brian Jacques, author
- Ice Cube, musician and actor
- Phil Mickelson, golfer
- Geronimo, chief
- Joyce Carol Oates, author
- Venus Williams, tennis player
- Igor Stravinsky, composer
- Newt Gingrich, politician
- Paul McCartney, musician
- Isabella Rossellini, actress
- George Mallory, mountain climber
- Macklemore, musician
- Moe Howard, actor
- John Donne, poet
- John Goodman, actor
- Nicole Kidman, actress
- Quinton Jackson, fighter
- Jean-Paul Sartre, philosopher
- Alejandro Ramírez, chess grandmaster
- Chris Pratt, actor
- Meryl Streep, actress
- Cyndi Lauper, musician
- Kurt Warner, football player
- Jason Mraz, musician
- Johannes Gutenberg, scientist and inventor
- Clarence Thomas, judge
- Lionel Messi, soccer player
- Roy Disney, entrepreneur and businessman
- Jack Dempsey, boxer
- Carly Simon, musician
- George Orwell, author
- Antoni Gaudi, architect
- Derek Jeter, baseball player
- Pearl S. Buck, author
- Greg LeMond, cyclist
- Helen Keller, author and activist
- Vera Wang, fashion designer
- Paul Laurence Dunbar, poet
- John Elway, football player
- Mel Brooks, actor and director
- John Cusack, actor
- Slim Pickens, actor
- William James Mayo, doctor
- Gary Busey, actor
- Michael Phelps, swimmer
- Mike Tyson, boxer
- Vincent D’onofrio, actor
5. Instructional and Educational: All Month Long
Tutorials, instructionals, and how-to articles and videos never go out of style and should be the cornerstone of any content marketing campaign. Don’t be afraid to create and publish these at any time.
REI’s awesome content marketing program, as an example, includes helpful videos and articles that help folks learn about outdoor activities.